I LOVE carne asada marinade. It’s so citrus-y & spicy. And just because I don’t eat carne doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the marinade. I have to say it works on just about all veggies, but mushrooms and tofu are my current faves. Unlike meat, it just takes a short time for the flavors to seep into the tofu or veggies, so it’s quick as well as easy. Here’s my recipe:
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, sliced into 1/2″ slabs
- 4 portobello mushrooms, sliced into 1/2″ thick, half-moon slices
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Except the tofu & mushrooms, combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup of the marinade in a separate small bowl to pour over the grilled tofu etc.
- Add the tofu & mushrooms to the bowl and toss gently. Cover and let stand for only about 10 minutes before grilling. (If you let it marinade too long it will dissolve your tofu!)
- Heat up your grill and lightly grease it with olive oil.
- Grill the marinated tofu, etc on medium-high until you get the desired “done-ness”.
- Perfect on a bed of mixed greens with the marinade as a dressing. Or chop it all up and serve in tortillas for tacos.