Everywhere I go I am bombarded with pumpkin spice this and pumpkin spice that. None of which is ever vegan or gluten free, and especially not both! So I decided to get cooking and make my own. I also tried to lower the sugar level that’s usually found in pumpkin spice stuff by loading up on the spices. I had two 8-year-old taste testers running around the house this afternoon and they gave this yummy bread their stamp of approved! (Shhh…I never tell them its vegan & gluten free.)
1 1/2 flax eggs (1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 4 tablespoons of water)
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/3 cup agave nectar or pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/2 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup gluten free all purpose baking flour
1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
Optional – you can add 1/4 cup of dried fruit like raisens or chocolate chips or nuts.
Here’s how easy it is:
1. Blend all of your wet ingredients in one bowl and your dry ingredients in another. Then dump them together in one bowl and mix well. A spoon will do, so you don’t even have to break out the mixer!
2. Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
3. Pour the mixture into the pan and put it on the middle rack of your oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. Let cool completely before slicing.
5. Serve it up as is, or add a dollop of our Whipped “Cream” or a little sprinkle of powdered sugar if a little more sweetness is what you crave.