I think the greatest thing about DIY Chex Mix is you can DIY vegan & gluten-free.
Often you can find an organic version of the ingredients as well.
If you are trying to cut back on salt, substitute unsalted, raw nuts for their salty cousins.
So many ways to be virtuous!
But I like to throw virtue to the wind and add hunks of dark chocolate to my Chex Mix, only after it has cooled of course. Now you have Chex Mix ready for a party 😉
- 1 box rice chex cereal
- 2 ½ cups gluten-free pretzels (broken into pieces)
- 1 ¼ cup salted, mixed nuts
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons The Wizard’s Worcesterchire sauce (or other vegan brand)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt (they make a MSG-free version now)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
Optional – 12 ounces vegan dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Combine ingredients (except chocolate) in a large mixing bowl until throughly blended, being careful not to crush the rice chex.
- Cover two cookie sheets in parchment paper and spread contents evenly between the two.
- Bake for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
Cool completely before adding chocolate, if you’re going party-style. Otherwise, pour it all in a big bowl and serve it up!