I admit that these babies may look like somethin’ you’d try to avoid stepping in out in the pasture, but they taste so yummy that you won’t care. Truly! So try ‘um and let me know if you agree 🙂
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 flax egg (3 tbsp. water + 1 tbsp. flax meal)
- 1/2 cup corn flour (or other gluten free flour)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce (we like Cholula)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- olive oil for light frying
- Mash the beans in a medium- sized bowl until almost smooth. (I like to leave it a bit chunky).
- Set aside the breadcrumbs on a small plate for coating.
- Prepare the flax “egg” by combining the flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Finely chop bell pepper, onion and garlic and saute in olive over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the sauted ingredients and all remaining ingredients (except the bread crumbs & olive oil) to the beans.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
7. Form patties with your hands and coat with bread crumbs
8. Coat a large skillet with olive oil and warm over medium heat.
9. Lightly fry each patty for roughly 5 minutes each side or until desired crispiness is reached.
10. Let cool just a bit before serving as they tend to fall apart while still hot.
Delicious on toasted gluten-free bread with Daiya cheese, Vegenaise, tomato, and avocado. And they are much prettier all dressed up! We like ours with a side of sweet potato fries. So delish!
Yields 4 to 5 burgers.