I LOVE carne asada marinade. It’s so citrus-y & spicy. And just because I don’t eat carne doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the marinade. I have to say it works on just about all veggies, but mushrooms and tofu are my current faves. Unlike meat, it just takes a short time for the flavors to seep into the tofu or veggies, so it’s quick as well as easy. Here’s my recipe:
1 package extra-firm tofu, sliced into 1/2″ slabs
4 portobello mushrooms, sliced into 1/2″ thick, half-moon slices
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Except the tofu & mushrooms, combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended.
2. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the marinade in a separate small bowl to pour over the grilled tofu etc.
3. Add the tofu & mushrooms to the bowl and toss gently. Cover and let stand for only about 10 minutes before grilling. (If you let it marinade too long it will dissolve your tofu!)
4. Heat up your grill and lightly grease it with olive oil.
5. Grill the marinated tofu, etc on medium-high until you get the desired “done-ness”.
6. Perfect on a bed of mixed greens with the marinade as a dressing. Or chop it all up and serve in tortillas for tacos.